For those who’re in Paris this summer time, be a part of the locals for a night of free open-air cinema, a preferred strategy to beat the warmth on a funds (particularly for these with out air con). The Cinéma en Plein Air on the Parc de la Villette is the most well-liked, however there are additionally just a few others you would possibly need to try.
Cinéma en Plein Air on the Parc de la Villette
The Parc de la Villette in northeast Paris (nineteenth arrondissement, M° Porte de Pantin) hosts open-air movies each Wednesday-Saturday evening on their huge garden generally known as Le Prairie du Triangle from mid-July by means of mid-August. The movies — usually from world wide, however largely in English or French) are in VO (authentic model) with subtitles in French (besides for youths’ movies: this 12 months’s Aristocats screening shall be dubbed in French), with the sound is broadcast on loudspeakers. The movies are normally classics (or cult classics) and blockbusters that you might have already seen, which is definitely good, as a result of there may be fairly a little bit of noise and motion round you as individuals are picnicking with their buddies, making it laborious to focus on the movie alone. Consider it as extra of a social occasion than a severe movie screening, and also you received’t be dissatisfied!
The garden opens from 7am, so there’s no level in getting there sooner than that. However ensure you don’t wait till the final minute, both, since you’ll have to undergo safety and discover a great place earlier than it fills up! Lounge chairs may be rented (first come, first served) for €7/every or 5 for €20. You can too carry your individual blanket and cushions, however attempt to place your self behind different folks with out chairs otherwise you received’t see something.
Top-of-the-line elements about these screenings is which you can normally include a giant group of buddies (or your loved ones) with out worrying about area…so long as you don’t wait till the final minute on an evening when there’s a giant movie exhibiting. You’re allowed — and inspired — to carry a picnic, however they’re very strict concerning the guidelines: no glass containers of any sort, no aluminum cans, no corkscrews, knives, or sharp cutlery (wooden or plastic cutlery is okay, and it is a nice time to check wine in a field!) Canines, skateboards, trottinettes, suitcases and bikes are additionally not allowed (there’s a free bike parking space subsequent door that’s guarded throughout the movies). You can too purchase drinks from the bar, in addition to popcorn, cheese naans and oysters (vive la France), however comfort comes at a worth (try the menu right here).
This 12 months’s theme for summer time 2022 is “Alors on danse” (Let’s Dance”). Movies begin at sundown, which is anyplace from 9:3opm to 10:30pm (later in July, earlier in August), so concentrate on the truth that the movie would possibly finish after the final metro (you’ll discover an enormous exodus simply earlier than, even when the film remains to be going), so have a Plan B for getting residence (bike, taxi, stroll, evening bus, and so forth). If the climate appears to be like iffy, verify the Parc de la Villette Fb web page to see if the screening remains to be scheduled or canceled.
Right here’s the total schedule for summer time 2022:
Begin Time 10:30pm
- Wednesday, July 20 – FLASHDANCE – Adrian Lyne -1983 -1h35
- Thursday, July 21 – PLAY– Ballet by Alexander Ekman -2017 -1h45
- Friday, July 22 – PULP FICTION – Quentin Tarantino -1994 -2h36 (12 years outdated and up)
- Saturday, July twenty third – THE ARISTOCATS – Wolfgang Reitherman -1971 -1h19 (Dubbed in French)
- Sunday, July 24 – LES DEMOISELLES DE ROCHEFORT -Jacques Demy -1967 -2h08
Begin Time 10:15pm
- Wednesday, July 27 – COLD WAR – Pawel Pawlikowski-2018 -1h29
- Thursday, July 28 – NAISSANCE DES PIEUVRES – Céline Sciamma -2007 -1h25
- Friday, July 29 – BILLY ELLIOTT – Stephen Daldry -2000 -1h52
- Saturday, July 30 – SATURDAY NIGHT FEVER – John Badham -1978 -1h53
- Sunday, July 31 – LES CHAUSSONS ROUGES– Michael Powell, Emeric Pressburger -1949 -2h13
Begin Time 10pm
- Wednesday, August 3 – MAIN DANS LA MAIN – Valérie Donzelli -2012 -1h24
- Thursday, August 4 – LE GRAND BAL – Laetitia Carton -2018 -1h29
- Friday, August 5 – BLACK SWAN – Darren Aronofsky -2011 -1h48
- Saturday, August 6 – THE ARTIST – Michel Hazanavicius -2011 -1h40
- Sunday, August 7 – BONJOUR TRISTESSE– Otto Preminger -1958 -1h34
Begin Time 9:45pm
- Wednesday, August 10 – SI C’ETAIT DE L’AMOUR – Patric Chiha -2020 -1h22
- Thursday, August 11 – EDEN – Mia Hansen-Løve-2014 -2h11
- Friday, August 12 – DANCER IN THE DARK – Lars Von Trier -2000 -2h21
- Saturday, August 13 – EYES WIDE SHUT – Stanley Kubrick -1999 -2h40
- Sunday, August 14 – LIFE IS BEAUTIFUL – Frank Capra -1948-2h09
Begin Time 9:30pm
- Wednesday, August 17 – GRISGRIS– Mahamat- Saleh Haroun -2013 -1h40
- Thursday, August 18 – GIRL – Lukas Dhont -2018 -1h46
- Friday, August 19 – LES BIEN-AIMÉS – Christophe Honoré -2011 -2h19
- Saturday, August 20 – HIGH HEELS – Pedro Almodovar -1992 -1h55
- Sunday, August 21 – WEST SIDE STORY – Robert Clever and Jerome Robbins-1962 -2h33
Different Open-Air Cinema Venues in Paris
For those who’re well-organized and don’t have too many individuals in your entourage, you would possibly need to try a few of the different choices obtainable in Pais this summer time.
The Rooftop at Lodge Paradiso
The Cinema-Lodge Paradiso (135 blvd Diderot, twelfth, M° Nation), which is a part of the MK2 Cinema subsequent door, screens free open-air movies on its rooftop bar each Sunday evening from 9:30pm from June 12 till September 18th. Very like the Parc de la Villette, they present a choice of worldwide movies, basically cult classics that can attraction to the Parisian hipsters (notice that fairly just a few are for adults solely).
There aren’t any reservations, however there are solely 30 spots (a grassy raised space and a picket deck space, each with folding chairs) so that you’ll have to get there fairly early to seize a spot…6pm wouldn’t be a nasty concept for those who actually need to get in. The rooftop bar opens Sundays from 2pm, with a small menu of drinks and snacks (Bob’s Café is downstairs on the bottom flooring of the lodge). Be aware that if it’s sunny, there aren’t any parasols or shade except the solar occurs to sizzling the little potted bushes on the proper angle, so that you’ll need to carry a big hat…or possibly an umbrella.
Cinéma sur le Toit de la Machine du Moulin Rouge x Bar à Bulles
The Bar à Bulles is the rooftop bar of the nightclub hooked up to the well-known cabaret, La Machine de la Moulin Rouge (90 blvd de Clichy, bar entrance at 4 Cité Veron, 18th, M° Blanche) with a view from the opposite aspect of the crimson windmill) hosts free movie screenings each Wednesday evening from June twenty ninth by means of September seventh.
There are three issues that distinguish this open-air cinema from the others:
- you may reserve your spot prematurely (and be placed on the waitlist for those who don’t get a seat)
- there are headphones for the sound so you may truly hear the movie
- they make a degree of selecting 50% male administrators and 50% feminine administrators
To order one of many spots, that you must be prepared: every movie is open to reservations on the Thursday earlier than the following screening…They usually go quick! You reserve by means of an app known as Cube (and for those who can’t make it, they ask that you simply cancel your reservation so somebody on the waitlist can get there in time to see the movie). Yow will discover it on their web site right here.
The rooftop opens at 8:30pm for these with reservations, and so they ask that you simply arrive no later than 45 minutes earlier than the screening begins to ensure your spot is saved. Right here is the schedule (click on for the hyperlink to the FB occasions web page):
Branche & Ciné