Pondering of a Mallorca highway journey by campervan? Then this 2022 RV journey information with the very best routes and tricks to benefit from the island is all you want. In spite of everything, this fashion of touring provides you complete freedom to discover autonomously and at your personal tempo, uncovering off-the-beaten-path locations that you possibly can miss in any other case whereas getting a extra genuine expertise, significantly when touring low season.
Exploring Mallorca by campervan is turning into an more and more common and enticing method to go to the island. Here’s a full information to RV journey in Mallorca as a way to plan which components to go to, study in regards to the guidelines and rules for highway trippers, and resolve how lengthy to spend on the island.
Touring by RV means it is possible for you to to find Mallorca in a completely unbiased method as a result of the motorhome, campervan, or transformed van provides you plenty of freedom and suppleness: in the event you come throughout a spot the place you need to keep longer, you’ll be able to simply modify your route at your personal tempo.
In addition to, in these pandemic instances, touring by campervan may be very interesting, as a result of you’ll be able to simply keep social distance. In reality, in the course of the summer season of 2020, there was a big improve in vacationers who opted to find Mallorca on this method.
A quick intro to Mallorca, an island of timeless enchantment
Current historical past of tourism in Mallorca
As with different huge coastal locations in Spain, worldwide tourism in Mallorca took off within the 70s and grew with every decade. The 80s and 90s had been the massive vacation bundle years, with guests shopping for an organized vacation bundle of their residence nation and having every part already organized for them at their vacation spot.
Within the late 90s and early 00s, low-cost flights started forcing holidaymakers to be extra unbiased and gave them freedom outdoors the restraints of the bundle vacation framework.
These days guests are much more adventurous and unbiased than they as soon as had been. The tour bundle of the 80s and 90s nonetheless exists, as does the dreaded all-inclusive bundle vacation, however the carefree unbiased traveler has undoubtedly reached these shores. And lots of are arriving in a campervan!
What’s the greatest time to go to Mallorca?
Mallorca is an excellent vacation spot all yr spherical and the ferries function year-round too. Mallorca is especially a summer season vacation spot, as most guests are searching for a pleasant seaside and a very good suntan. If you wish to swim within the sea, then you’ll definitely should schedule your highway journey for the summer season months when temperatures are nicely into the 30s day-after-day.
Then again, and though the summer season months are hottest, different components of the yr are greatest for a lot of causes.
Lengthy drives could be very pleasurable within the spring and Autumn.
Essentially the most appropriate months to go to Mallorca for lively vacationers trying ahead to spending time open air are February, March, April, and Might. Average temperatures and sunny days await.
In any other case, in the event you don’t want the warmth and need to keep away from the crowds, then you’ll be able to go to in winter, so long as you don’t thoughts that outdoors Palma, many bars and eating places are closed. Winter in Mallorca can get chilly in a campervan at evening, however even in December and January, the climate in the course of the day could be nice with blue skies and sunshine. It may be nasty too, so in winter you’re taking your luck with the climate.
Why do you have to take a Mallorca highway journey?
Mallorca, the most important island on the Balearic archipelago – certainly one of Spain’s 17 autonomous communities – has all of it: nice climate, beautiful seashores, unspoiled villages, unbelievable mountains, tasty gastronomy, and a well-established vacationer infrastructure making life simple for guests.
There are implausible excursions in Mallorca and plenty of issues to do and see for a memorable highway journey. Located within the Mediterranean Sea off the coast of Barcelona, Mallorca is among the most essential vacationer locations in Spain and, regardless of having a inhabitants that doesn’t fairly attain 1 million inhabitants, welcomes over 8 million vacationers yearly (most of which go to between April and October).
Listed below are a couple of tricks to keep away from the excessive variety of vacationers and luxuriate in a extra genuine expertise in Mallorca:
- Journey low season if doable.
- Head to the lesser components of the island. The agricultural Estellencs, on the Serra de Tramuntana foothills, is an efficient place to get began.
- Eat in native eating places and assist native companies as a lot as you’ll be able to. It’s probably the most eco-friendly method to discover the island!
What do it’s good to pack for a Mallorca highway journey?
In case you’re touring in an RV then there’s no have to journey mild, however you don’t have to convey pointless gadgets both. Listed below are a couple of must-brings:
- Digital camera.
- Swimsuit and towel.
- Flip flops (keep in mind it’s unlawful to drive in them although).
- Good climbing boots for exploring mountain trails.
- Solar cream and aftersun.
- Sun shades (these are much more essential for the motive force).
- Driving license legitimate in Spain (in Spain you need to carry your driving license with you when you’re driving any car).
- Mosquito repellent.
Attending to Mallorca in a campervan
Reaching Mallorca is simple from the mainland for individuals touring with their very own car, as there are day by day ferries from Barcelona and Valencia in addition to many ferry departures all through the day between Mallorca and the opposite islands.
The most well-liked method to get to Mallorca is the in a single day ferry from Barcelona to the Port of Alcudia. Do verify all of the routes on-line earlier than you guide although, because the completely different ferry firms usually publish particular affords.
RV journey and rules in Mallorca
A leisure car is a completely autonomous residence car, which has a water tank (one for clear water and one for used water), a chemical rest room, a small kitchen, and a bed room. They’re designed to be traveled in with complete consolation. There are completely different ranges of luxurious in response to finances.
An RV can price anyplace between 50,000 and 100,000 euros, relying on the comforts, finishes, and designs. You possibly can hire an RV in Mallorca for between 150 and 200 euros per day within the excessive season, and between 80 and 120 per day within the off-season.
Laws for motorhomes in Mallorca
RV vacationers in Mallorca should perceive the distinction between two ideas: parking and tenting.
- When parked, the nationwide visitors rules apply.
- When tenting, the rules of the Balearic Authorities apply, and the SEPRONA (in case you are tenting on rustic land), IBANAT (in protected areas), Coastal Demarcation (within the coastal zone), or the native police, can transfer you on and positive you in case you are breaking rules or tenting in an unauthorized place.
Parking is outlined as being contained in the car (watching TV, consuming, sleeping, and so on.). If you’re outdoors, organising a desk, taking out chairs, or inserting jacks to stabilize the campervan, then you might be tenting. In Mallorca, you can’t camp freely wherever you need as it could actually carry a collection of penalties. If you’re unsure whether or not you might be allowed to camp or keep in anywhere for any size of time, please verify with the native authorities to keep away from being fined.
Campervan parking in Mallorca and repair areas
In Mallorca, there are greater than 500 leisure automobiles. In France, over 500,000 and in Germany, greater than 600,000. In Spain, about 230,000.
Mallorca is a perfect place to go to by RV, in that the temperature is right and the setting is beautiful, however Mallorca shouldn’t be very nicely ready for RV journey; that is one thing that’s solely simply turning into common on the island. In reality, on your entire island, there are barely two service areas for motorhomes:
- Within the Son Castelló industrial property in Palma: it belongs to EMAYA, and is situated within the Son Castelló Parc Verd. It’s a separate space from the waste assortment space and has a spot to securely get rid of gray waters and a water facility to wash and fill the water tanks. It opens from 8:00 to twenty:00.
- Petroest gasoline station in Son Rossinyol on Carrer Gremi Cirugians i Barbers, 11: For five€ you should use the ecological level to vary the water of your car.
In Mallorca there are only a few clear parking locations particularly for campervans:
- Lluc Monastery automobile park: it is a very quiet automobile park surrounded by nature, though it’s not unique to campervans. Close by is the tenting space, Sa Font Coberta, the place you’ll be able to load and drain the water from the motorhome. It additionally has showers and barbecues. The parking charge is 10€ per day.
- Parking in Son Servera: situated close to the seaside of Port Vell, it has 12 areas and you may park for a most of 48 hours. On the Repsol gasoline station in Son Servera they’ve arrange a service space.
- Parking in Son Serra de Marina: there’s the potential of parking up at Son Serra de Marina however the pointers usually are not clear. Parking is feasible by the native council places of work and that’s additionally the place you may get up-to-date details about rules.
Greatest issues to see and do in Mallorca
The routes beneath, which have been designed particularly with campervans in thoughts, could be loved over a few days or an extended time. Guests to the island who prefer to journey on this method are usually searching for hidden corners, stunning coves, nature, and little-known villages, so the urged routes beneath don’t embody Mallorca’s most business points of interest like waterparks, buying facilities, or huge coach tour day-tripper hotspots.
On the finish of this put up, you will see an inventory of seashores that may be present in the identical areas because the routes and might simply be included into your vacation itinerary.
What number of days do you have to spend in Mallorca?
The longer you’ve in Mallorca, the extra alternative you’ll have to delve into the native tradition and gastronomy and discover areas in depth. When you’ve got the time, a minimum of two weeks in Mallorca are perfect for exploring all the next options, giving your self time to chill out and luxuriate in seaside days in between.
A suggestion in case you are touring for just a few days or a weekend is to comply with simply one of many routes. The next yr, do the following one on the checklist and so forth.
Exploring a couple of Mallorca highway journey routes by campervan
There’s a lot to see in Mallorca, and it’s troublesome to cowl every part. However in case you are touring by campervan and are versatile with time, you need to be capable to cowl a lot of the next itineraries. Every part boils all the way down to time and finances, however the great thing about exploring Mallorca by RV means that you would be able to get off the crushed observe, take your time and transfer round slowly.
Street journey by cala Agulla
Near the vacationer heart of Cala Ratjada, is the attractive seaside of Cala Agulla, which has a big car parking zone and an space for motorhomes the place you’ll be able to park for 10€ per day. Though the parking ticket workplace closes at 6:30 p.m., you’ll be able to enter and park later, and pay the following day. The RV parking space is in an space with out shade, just a little far out from the seaside.
There are free bogs on Cala Agulla Seaside, which work with tokens that you simply purchase on the parking workplace, solely in the summertime season.
Issues to do in and round Cala Agulla:
- Take a swim within the crystal-clear waters of Cala Agulla. In case you’re visiting Mallorca in the course of the summer season months, then one of many principal causes to park up at Cala Agulla is to take pleasure in this glorious seaside and swim in its excellent Mediterranean waters.
- In case you like climbing, you’ll be able to stroll to Cala Mesquida (one other spectacular seaside) or to the outdated defensive watchtower of Son Jaumell from the place you’ll be able to take pleasure in wonderful views. Regardless of being near massive vacationer resorts, you’ll really feel like you’ve the entire space only for your self.
- You possibly can go to the attractive city of Capdepera, the place a go to to its medieval citadel is a should. (In case you’re touring with a furry good friend, canines are allowed within the citadel grounds too).
- Each Tuesday the city of Arta holds one of many nicest markets on the island and has a devoted farmers’ market. You can also make a day of it and take a stroll by the city and as much as the Sant Salvador Sanctuary atop a hill with magnificent views again over the city and for miles throughout the island and out to sea. Within the outskirts of Arta, the talayotic settlement of Ses Paisses is value a go to.
Street journey by Alcudia Bay
On a fantastic highway journey alongside Alcudia Bay, you can begin by spending the evening in Son Serra de Marina on the southern finish of the bay. Proper in entrance of the municipal places of work, there’s an space the place you’ll be able to park your RV. Stroll by this small city with its chilled-out vibe and luxuriate in its fairly seaside and promenade.
Dedicate the following day to visiting the municipality of Alcudia. Listed below are some choices for parking:
- In entrance of the church of Alcudia, there’s a automobile park.
- In Puerto del Cocodrilo there’s one other automobile park proper subsequent to a showering space.
- On the best way to the Ermita de La Victoria, earlier than reaching S’Illot, there’s a small bridge and an space that’s common with campervans.
- On the Ermita de La Victoria itself, there’s a parking space.
- One other extremely popular motorhome web site is on the seaside of Aucanada.
Apart from the primary choice, which is within the heart of Alcudia Previous City, all these parking areas are quiet and have beautiful coastal views.
Issues to do in and round Alcudia:
- The superbly maintained streets of Alcudia Previous City are a delight for a stroll. It is possible for you to to stroll on the medieval partitions, browse across the small artisan retailers and luxuriate in lunch at one of many typical Mallorcan eating places. Lastly, you’ll be able to go to the Roman ruins of Pollentia, one of many few archaeological stays preserved in Mallorca from that epoch.
- Alcudia stands out for its amount and high quality of seashores. The most well-liked is the seaside of Puerto de Alcudia which, with its massive stretch of sand, is right for households. In case you prefer to snorkel, each the S’Illot space and Aucanada are excellent.
- Alcudia Port is a busy one with a variety of day by day boat journeys on supply. Crusing is a powerful method to benefit from the beautiful northern shoreline.
- In case you like climbing, there are some marvelous trails in Alcudia, particularly across the space of La Victoria. From the Atalaya of La Victoria or the Peña del Migdia, the views of Alcudia Bay and Pollensa Bay are spectacular, and on clear days, you’ll be able to even see Menorca.
A route in Mallorca for the skilled highway tripper
This route in Mallorca takes us to a spot that isn’t simple to achieve by RV, however which is nicely definitely worth the effort and nerves (nerves as a result of the highway is slim and winding and with many automobiles in summer season and plenty of cyclists out of summer season). However the web site’s magnificence will go away you speechless.
It’s Formentor Lighthouse, also called Cap de Formentor, the northernmost level on the island.
You possibly can park your campervan on the lighthouse, though the car parking zone shouldn’t be very huge. IMPORTANT: the highway from Formentor Seaside to the lighthouse is restricted to visitors from fifteenth June to fifteenth September from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. In that time frame, you can’t flow into on this highway in a motorcar.
Issues to do within the Formentor space:
- As a result of orientation of the Formentor peninsula, this is among the greatest locations on the island to see each the sundown and the dawn. Each are spectacular.
- If you wish to swim, Formentor Seaside needs to be high of your checklist. It’s a stunning seaside, with wonderful views and crystal-clear waters. This seaside may be very common with individuals on day by day boat journeys from Puerto Alcudia and Puerto Pollensa so the very best time to take pleasure in this seaside is after 4 pm.
- On the best way to Formentor, don’t neglect to cease on the Es Colomer viewpoint. You’ll see among the greatest views on the island from right here and it’s additionally nice for dawn and sundown.
- Go to Puerto Pollensa, and in addition go to the outdated city of Pollensa. There may be a lot to do and see in each Puerto Pollensa and Pollensa, so in case you are not pushed for time, attempt to allocate a couple of days for each locations.
- In case you like wine, go to the Can Vidalet vineyard, the place you’ll be able to style wine made on-site at their bodega, with a deal with native grape varieties and artisan manufacturing.
- Like Alcudia Bay, the bay of Pollensa is right for crusing, both on a catamaran tour, a crusing tour, or a non-public boat journey. Some locations supply windsurf, kitesurf, and canoeing experiences.
Street journey by the Tramuntana mountains
One of the crucial stunning areas of Mallorca declared a UNESCO World Heritage Web site, the Tramuntana Mountains cowl a 3rd of the island alongside your entire west coast.
If you’re coming from the earlier route, your first cease will likely be at Lluc Monastery, the place there’s a campervan parking facility.
There are a lot of trekking routes round Lluc and the data heart has maps and climbing trails. A very good hike is the one which takes you to see Es Camell, a karst rock that has been formed by the impact of the rainwater, and appears like a camel. The world instantly round Lluc Monastery is gorgeous, and the monastery itself, thought-about the religious heart of Mallorca, is sort of majestic.
Don’t go away Lluc with out having visited the church and having heard the Blauets sing. This is among the oldest singing faculties in Europe.
From Lluc, proceed your RV journey to Sa Calobra. The highway to Sa Calobra is taken into account one of the spectacular in Europe. Make a cease on the “knot of the tie”, the place you will notice that the highway turns beneath itself, and there’s a fantastic viewpoint.
Sa Calobra itself is sort of a touristy place with tour teams, so it’s higher to go to late afternoon as soon as the crowds have moved on. You possibly can spend the evening at Sa Calobra in your RV, as there’s a parking space.
The seaside at Sa Calobra is framed with spectacular cliffs of the Serra de Tramuntana and is the place the Torrent de Pareis Gorge meets the ocean. Swimming right here is pure pleasure.
From Sa Calobra, drive by the realm of the reservoirs and the foothills of the Puig Main, the very best mountain on the island, to the Valley of Soller. Right here you’ll be able to dedicate a day or two to those options:
- Take a stroll by the city, particularly the sq. and the Carrer Lluna with its modernist buildings.
- Go to Can Prunera, a restored modernist home that homes a museum.
- Go by tram to Puerto de Soller, to have dinner there or take a stroll to the Santa Catalina viewpoint.
- Attempt a home made orange ice cream (the Soller Valley is famend for its orange orchards) at Gelats de Soller or Can Pau. Their ice lotions are scrumptious, with no comparability to immediately’s industrially-produced variations.
In Soller, you’ll be able to park your RV on the principle highway, close to Soller Botanical Backyard.
Deia and Valldemossa
The final a part of this highway journey by the Tramuntana Mountains takes you to Deia and Valldemossa. Be very cautious driving on this highway, which is slim and curvy in some sections.
Each Deia and Valldemossa are among the many most photographed areas in Mallorca due to their beautiful environment within the Tramuntana Mountains and their completely preserved streets and stone buildings.
In Valldemossa, the bigger of the 2, you’ll be able to go to the Carthusian Monastery Museum and the Palace of King Sancho. Then stroll to the oldest a part of city, the place you discover the parish church, and you’ll uncover among the most stunning streets on the town.
Banyalbufar and Estellencs
If you wish to prolong this RV mountain route, take the highway to Banyalbufar and Estellencs, two small villages close to the ocean, which retain all their attraction with their stone homes and exquisite streets. The 2 locations are the picture of postcard perfection and are recognized for his or her typical terraces the place olive timber and grapevines are cultivated. There’s a carpark in Banyalbufar.
Street journey by the Pla de Mallorca
The inland space of the island, often known as the Pla de Mallorca, is commonly missed by guests, and highway trippers are inclined to choose the coastal areas. However the inside of Mallorca is the place you’ll be able to see the true rural facet of the island, untouched by tourism. Listed below are some suggestions:
- Ariany: a city that retains all its rural character. Take a stroll to see the views from the perspective in entrance of its church.
- Petra: one other charming city, the place you’ll be able to go to the museum and the home the place Fray Junipero Serra was born. Afterward, drive or hike up the Puig de Bonany hill to go to the well-preserved hermitage and absorb views of Alcudia Bay. Return to Petra simply in time for a late lunch at one of many cellers that the city is legendary for.
- Sant Joan: you’ll be able to go to the Els Calderers house-museum and go as much as the Sanctuary of Nuestra Señora de la Consolación, a preferred place with campervans.
Seashores in Mallorca to discover by motorhome
Lastly, to finish this put up about highway tripping Mallorca, some wonderful seashores to go to:
Mallorca has greater than 300 seashores and coves, so there are so much to select from. When touring by motorhome in Mallorca, you’ll be considerably depending on the parking choices. To slim it down, the next are very picturesque seashores that you could find with out diverting a lot from the routes talked about and all have automobile parks accessible for RVs.
- In Pollensa: Cala San Vicente, Cala Murta, Cala Figuera, and Puerto Pollensa.
- In Alcudia: Manresa space, Sant Joan Seaside, La Victoria space, Aucanada.
- In Muro: Playa de Muro.
- In Can Picafort: Son Serra de Marina.
- In Capdepera: Cala Agulla.
- In Arta: Betlem space and Colonia de Sant Pere.
- In Cales de Mallorca: Cala Murada.
- In Colonia de Sant Jordi: Es Trenc and Ses Covetes.
- Cala Mondrago.
These are just a few proposals for seashores that you would be able to go to together with your motorhome or campervan whereas taking a Mallorca highway journey, however there are undoubtedly many extra. And in case you are completely happy to park up and hike or take a ship journey to in any other case inaccessible seashores then your choices are limitless.