Whenever you consider Aspen, Colorado, it’s possible you’ll consider ritzy inns and decadent events, or world-class snowboarding. However it’s additionally surrounded by a few of North America’s most stunning wilderness and is a pure basecamp for some unimaginable climbing, biking, fishing, snowboarding, and even paragliding—absolutely anything you are able to do outside. Whereas Aspen is a 4-season vacation spot, there’s tons of issues to do in Aspen in summer time, and beneath we share our favorites!
Study one of the best issues to do in Aspen in summer time together with climbing, biking, tenting & lodging, and restaurant suggestions.
Vital Reminder: Because it goes in all the locations we share, please observe good path etiquette and bear in mind to Depart No Hint. This implies packing out your whole rubbish (together with bathroom paper), being respectful to others on busy trails, and following the established guidelines.
Aspen Summer time Mountaineering
Aspen is nestled within the Roaring Fork Valley which gives a system of trails for each hiker from newbie to skilled. With fields of wildflowers, mountain vistas, and dense forests, climbing is among the greatest issues to do in Aspen in the summertime. Listed here are a few of our favourite trails:
West Maroon Cross
This hike begins beneath the Maroon Bells at Maroon Lake, one of the photographed spots within the nation, and the primary few miles are about as busy as you’d anticipate. However when you cross the picnicking households at Crater Lake, the path turns into infinitely much less crowded. It’s six and a half miles one-way to West Maroon Cross, however you’ll be able to flip round everytime you like (or you’ll be able to maintain going, descend the opposite facet of the cross, and stroll all the best way to Crested Butte!). The views are unbeatable the entire means!
You’ll must drive just a few miles down valley to get to the trailhead, however Triangle Peak is a lesser-known hike that reaps large rewards in a brief distance. You hike up a jeep highway for 2 and a half miles to the summit of Triangle Peak, and from there you could have a view of your complete Roaring Fork Valley, the entire Elk Mountain Vary, and nearly all of Aspen-Snowmass’s 4 ski areas.
You may observe the Ute Path all the best way to the highest of Aspen Mountain. Whereas it’s steep at first, it’s a lot much less busy than the favored highway up the face of the ski hill. Should you’re completely exhausted once you get to the highest, you’ll be able to take the gondola again all the way down to city.
Aspen Summer time Biking
Aspen has biking choices for everyone. From lung-busting highway rides to rollercoaster single observe, and even household cruiser rides – it’s all there and probably the greatest issues to do in Aspen in the summertime!
A few Aspen highway bike classics are Independence Cross, a lung-busting climb to 12,065 toes above sea stage, and Maroon Creek Highway, a relatively flat (however in actuality, regular uphill) journey to the long-lasting Maroon Bells.
Should you’ve obtained children, or don’t fancy using with visitors, cruise down the valley on the Rio Grande Path, a former railroad observe turned multi-use pathway that stretches 40-plus miles all the best way to Glenwood Springs alongside the Roaring Fork River. A mid-morning journey to Woody Creek Tavern for lunch is hard to beat; it’s about 10 miles from Aspen, simply lengthy sufficient to earn that burger and brew.
Head up the face of Aspen Mountain on the forest service highway and luxuriate in single-track on the best way down, or take one of many trails throughout city, above the previous Smuggler Mine. Really feel like getting out of city a bit extra? Close by Snowmass Mountain has extra singletrack, downhill, and enduro using than your legs may ever deal with. For a dynamite single-track shuttle, take the free bus from Aspen to Snowmass Village, then mix the Rim Path, simply west of Snowmass Village with the model new single observe of Sky Mountain Park, chopping again to Aspen on the hillsides above Aspen airport.
Aspen Summer time Fishing
There could also be no higher place on earth for fly fishing. The Roaring Fork River, a gold-medal fishing river, flows proper by means of city. Fifteen minutes down the valley, it’s joined by the Fryingpan River, one other gold-medal river. Fifteen minutes previous there, the Crystal River joins the social gathering—one other world-class fly fishing river. You may rent a information to take you to their favourite secret spots, or you’ll be able to simply seize your rod and head on the market—it’s arduous to go mistaken on this space!
Simply be sure you’re not venturing onto personal property and choose up a Colorado fishing license! You may snag one on-line, from Metropolis Market within the heart of city, or within the fly retailers in Aspen, Basalt, or Carbondale.
Greatest Aspen Eating places
Aspen is a foodie city with tons of connoisseur choices. Should you’re on the lookout for a extra informal spot to seize a go-to meal or a chew after an extended day on the paths, listed below are a few of our suggestions:
- Zane’s Tavern: A sports activities bar that’s well-liked with locals, particularly when the Denver Broncos are enjoying. The meals is typical pub grub, but it surely’s stable and cheap. And you’ll’t go mistaken with something fried, proper?
- Huge Wrap: This can be a cash-only informal joint that serves tacos, wraps, sandwiches, and extra.
- Jour de Fete: the French title would possibly sound fancy, however it is a no-frills deli with nice sandwiches and salads.
- Bangkok Blissful Bowl: Yummy Thai meals which you could eat in or take out.
- Woody Creek Tavern: That is the famed hangout spot of the late Hunter S. Thompson. A couple of 20-minute stroll out of city (or 10 minutes by bike), they serve consolation bar meals and have an eclectic ambiance.
Different Issues To Do In Aspen in Summer time
Have extra time to fill throughout your journey? Listed here are a few of our different favourite summer time actions in Aspen:
- Hike or take the gondola up Aspen Mountain for a free sport of frisbee golf. There’s a disc golf course proper on the prime of the ski space. Discs can be found at 4 Mountain Sports activities to hire or be happy to convey your personal. In case you are in Snowmass, there’s a course on the mountain there as properly.
- Tube or paddleboard by means of Northstar Nature Protect. The present is mild, the water is shallow (and chilly!), and there’s no higher technique to spend a summer time afternoon.
- Go for the coldest swim of your life at The Grottos. These snowmelt-fed swimming pools and waterfalls east of city appear to be a scene from an enchanted fairy story, however the water temperature feels extra like a wintry nightmare. Should you determine to leap in, be ready for the icy water to take your breath away—actually.
- Catch some music: The Aspen Music Festival takes place each summer time, all summer time, and college students might be discovered giving free performances on avenue corners round city. Additionally, try the dwell music calendar on the Stomach Up.
Aspen Tenting & Lodging Choices
Aspen is a well-liked summer time vacation spot – you’ll want to guide your tenting or lodging prematurely! Listed here are just a few suggestions for campgrounds and inns:
- Tenting is restricted in and round Aspen; the closest campsite is Tough Campground eight miles outdoors of city towards Independence Cross. You may as well camp close to the long-lasting Maroon Bells at Silver Queen Campground. Each of those replenish shortly, so make reservations prematurely if potential. Take a look at The Dyrt app for extra Aspen tenting suggestions.
- Aspen funds inns: Mountain Chalet, Tyrolean Lodge, and Annabelle Inn all have nice places with out the worth tag of their luxurious neighbors.
- If you wish to step it up a bit of, the Limelight Lodge, Lodge Aspen, and The Gant are all nice locations to remain in the course of the summer time in Aspen.
Have you ever ever visited Aspen? Are we lacking any of one of the best issues to do in Aspen in summer time? Tell us within the feedback beneath!